Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Weekend Arrives

So this is it. The big weekend. The one I’ve been planning since Hayden was just six months old. Her birthday weekend. In addition to my excitement about her big day also comes anxiety, stress and the occasional migraine headache. I am nowhere near ready for this event that has managed to creep up on the calendar. I still wonder what drugs I was on when I thought “Yeah, I’ll do a cupcake theme and bake cupcakes”- Sounds innocent enough, right? Not really. I have about 150 people attending this party at Stepping Stones Children’s museum. As the “party favor”, I have bakery boxes for people to take a bunch of cupcakes home with them. You should have seen the face of the poor cashier at Walmart as he rang up 22 boxes of cupcake mix. I must have looked like a hot mess with Hayden crying (she HATES Walmart… who hates Walmart?), arm loads of baking goods and 20 bottles of soda that were on sale. I never actually figured out the logistics on how long it would take or what I need to bake 500 cupcakes. Frosting? Nope, I haven’t crossed that bridge yet. Oh, and I’ve decided that I should make rice krispy treats- since I have a lot of time for that.
In the midst of my anxiety attacks about the weather not cooperating (we had planned to have the buffet outside under the tent) and heart palpitations about the fact that the dress that I had handmade for Hayden on Etsy.com was not fitting properly- there’s Paul, my incredible husband. I don’t like to blow up his head with positive praise that often. I like to keep him on his toes. But this morning he grabbed me and reminded me that he loved me and asked what I wanted for our anniversary. I brushed him off and really couldn’t be bothered. It was 8 a.m. and I had to get Hayden changed, dropped off at my Mothers house, run four errands and be at my open house by 10:30 a.m. It’s amazing how much has changed. If this was a few years ago, we would have had Broadway tickets, dinner reservations and possibly a hotel booked in the city. Last years anniversary was a little different. Last year, as we celebrated our four year anniversary, I gave birth to Hayden. I remember my Mom giving me an anniversary card while I was having the most painful contractions and I thought she was insane. I can’t believe this Saturday will five years since we exchanged our vows. I simply can’t believe it. Sometimes I get so worked up over Hayden’s antics and the craziness of my career that I forget that I have the greatest partner by my side. I feel bad that I brushed him off this morning. He really is an incredible Daddy and an amazing Husband.
We’re creating a new ritual this year. We’re both going to take Monday off from work, drop off Hayden at my parents, and spend a romantic day together. I can’t believe how much I’m looking forward to it. It seems like forever ago that we had “us” time. I think we all need to remember that we’re not just Mommies… we all have other relationships in our lives that need nurturing. So, my love, this year for our five year anniversary all I want is to hold your hand… and to not talk about work… and a pair of earrings or a new Pandora charm 
And my gift to you is this blog- I’m publicly announcing that you’re an incredible Daddy and I’m one lucky Mommy. And maybe I’ll get you a pair of new underwear.
Wish me luck with this weekend everyone! I’m sure I’ll have some stories for you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment