Thursday, November 3, 2011

A cousin is born...

A Cousin is Born!
Today has been an amazing week. On Monday, my brother and his wife welcomed their first baby boy, Hunter. Today, Hayden turned 14 months old. It’s unbelievable to think that little, tiny baby was once the same size as Hayden. Watching my sister in law throughout her pregnancy, I was always afraid that once I laid eyes on her little boy, I would get the itch to have a second baby. Two things happened on Monday when he was born, I fell head over heels in love with my little nephew, and I certainly am still NOT ready for another baby.
I have been prepping Hayden that a baby was coming, but of course she just babbles in her language that resembles Chinese. She has perfected the word “baby” though. It’s so cute. Is it weird that she speaks in a native tongue? I think it’s a cross between Spanish and Chinese. I’m pretty sure she learned this language that we will call Spinese from watching an overdose of Ni-Hao Kai-Lan and Dora the Explorer on Nick Junior.
I wasn’t sure how Hayden would react to Hunter. She really didn’t react at all. The first time she laid eyes on him, she looked confused. Then she lost all interest in him. Then she tried to poke him in the face with her finger. She’s been extra moody this week, but it’s probably because I keep her trapped in that little hospital room while I stare at the baby’s itty bitty face. (imagine me saying that in pure baby voice)- She did manage to throw three tantrums today and take her crayons and draw all over the hospital floor. I’m sure the nurses LOVE her.
I’ve finally joined the league of insane Moms carrying the “semi-pro” cameras. I used to make fun of the mothers at the play ground hoisting a twenty pound camera on their shoulder. Now, I’m one of them. I had to give in and get one. (Actually, it was my Mother’s Day gift) I just couldn’t get a decent shot of Hayden. Every time I tried to snap a picture of her smiling, it would turn out with her eyes crossed and her tongue sticking out. I’ve already taken over 300 pictures this week. Granted, 200 of them are of Hunter.
Next week is a big week for the Zap family. We’re off to San Diego to watch my baby sister graduate college. It’s Hayden’s first trip on a plane and needless to say I’m super nervous. I used to travel a lot before she was born and I used to dread the screaming baby on the plane. I have a feeling this will be payback for all the swearing I did under my breath. I think Hayden’s warming up her lungs for that six hour flight. God help us all.
So, I’ll be back in two weeks with lots of stories about traveling with my diva. Say a little prayer for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment