Thursday, November 3, 2011

No Halloween Here

No Halloween Here
I love Halloween. For eight consecutive years, I dressed up as Marilyn Monroe. I’m one of those Marilyn Monroe fanatics. Sometimes I would wear the white dress from Some Like it Hot… Sometimes the pink dress from Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend… Sometimes I would simply wear an outrageous evening gown, put on my wig and head out. I never broke character from the moment the beauty mark was painted above my lip. Those were great Halloweens.
Someone asked me one year; didn’t I want a little variety? The answer was pretty simple. No. See, every Halloween was a chance to be someone I admired- and it was great. Well, that and my college friends/sorority sisters are insane and we would regularly dress up (like every Friday) and go out. The outfits would be outlandish and hysterical. I would normally be seen out with my Jim Morrison American flag draped over my shoulders like a cape while wearing neon yellow sunglasses. Anyway… moving on. So, last year was Hayden’s first Halloween and I spared no expense. I had not one, not two, not three, but four, yes four Halloween costumes for her. The first was simple- Pig ears and pig nose while she ate breakfast. Fitting, I thought. Then for pumpkin carving, she switched into her Jimi Hendrix outfit. She had an afro and was wearing her onesie with a picture of good ‘ol Jimi on it… and legwarmers for good measure. As we headed to the first party of the day, I dressed her in my most favorite costume ever… a handmade Marilyn Monroe white halter dress with white dress shoes and baby blond wig. It was hysterical and I was so proud. (Please note, that when I say “handmade” I certainly do not mean by me. I cannot sew or do anything that involves needles and thread. I found a person on Ebay who would make it) I ended the day by switching her into a full length white tutu with angel wings and halo- oh the irony that my devil was to be an angel.
This year, I’ve been super busy with work (lots of houses to sell which is great!) and decided that since we went to Disneyland this year and she really liked Minnie Mouse, she would be Minnie. Cute, I thought. Best was that no one would think I would dress her so conservatively in such a normal costume. I drove her yesterday all the way to the Disney Outlet store at Woodbury Commons in NY. I happily grabbed the beautiful Minnie costume complete with matching shoes and ears. Her reaction? Full out tantrum in the middle of the store. She wouldn’t let me try it on her. She threw the shoes at me. She hated it. I tried to reason with her- didn’t work. I told her she could pick any costume in the store (there were so many beautiful costumes)- She didn’t want any of them. I literally had to throw her over my shoulder kicking and screaming and leave the store. I know Hayden. When she says no, she means no. So why pay so much money for a costume that will be a cause of headache? I’m sad. I have a black tutu leotard at home. Maybe I’ll just put that on her with her sneakers and call her a hot mess. Oh yeah, she won’t wear any of the beautiful boots I bought her either. Just her running sneakers. I’m going to eat all her candy as punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment