Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Attack

The Attack
So, I’ve spoken at length about Hayden’s fear of all farm yard animals. We’ve gotten to the point where she doesn’t even let me read her “Farm” book… (She freaks out at the point where I have to say “Cockadoodledoo”)- I blame her fears solely on Stew Leonard’s plastic cow in the milk section of the store that has forever scarred her beyond belief. The cow makes a loud “Moo” sound when anyone pushes the button. She screams when we approach it and the poor child literally shakes in fear.
I’m the kind of Mom that won’t just let my kid have unfounded fears and decided that because my husband was off from work today and it was a beautiful, sunny 79 degree’s, that I should pack up the family and go to the Stamford Museum. For those of you who haven’t visited Stamford Museum, it has a great farm with so many animals, a very “nature” centered playground and a museum/planetarium. I went with the intention to have my little diva confront her fears head on. Big mistake. Let me rephrase, huge mistake.
It started on innocently enough. It was feeding time for the Otters. Hayden enjoyed pointing out the Otters and repeated “Otters” a few times. She seemed happy to observe the animals from a distance. Cool, I thought. Then we entered the farm area where there were several farm animals and many loose birds. There were ducks, turkeys, roosters all running around free. Game on, I thought.
Hayden began nervous but was calm as my husband held her and brought her up to the animals. My phone rang and it was a work call. I took the call and stepped away while they watched the giant turkeys nearby. Hayden clutched Paul’s neck with one arm and in her little hand clutched her “snack trap” full of Pepperidge Farm Goldfish. (We don’t leave the house without them)-
It never crossed my mind that these innocent looking turkeys were actually Goldfish hungry maniacs. As I wandered off to discuss closing dates and mortgage contingencies (I’m a Realtor… fyi) I heard a yelp from my poor husband. I spun around to witness a full grown turkey attack my husband’s leg. The turkey was pecking at him while my husband made every effort to kick the bird off of him and protect my little girl. He clutched her, she clutched her Goldfish. It was, by far, the funniest thing I’ve ever seen in my entire life. I couldn’t hold back. Watching that grown turkey attack my husband while he admirably protected his daughter was the most humorous scene… ever. I lost it. I laughed so hard that I had to cut my work conversation short to compose myself.
Paul suffered a bitten leg and a bruised ego, Hayden, unfortunately, deepened her fear of all farm animals. We could not put her down to run around once the entire day. She didn’t even want to play at the playground with the other children. She was terrified. I guess that teaches me to make my kid confront her fears.
So, my advice this week, avoid killer turkeys and let your kids face their own fears. I guess there is a time to just sit back and let nature run its course.

No comments:

Post a Comment