Thursday, November 3, 2011

She's a Little Runaway

She’s a little runaway…
Honestly now. Just when I think Hayden is behaving more like a “normal toddler” (and I use the term “normal toddler” loosely) she does something that makes me step back and wonder… Why? Why dear God? What did I possibly do to my parents that all these things happen to me?
She’s a runaway. Yep, you read it right. She runs away. She’s like a lightning bolt and you can’t blink for a second or she’ll be gone.
Runaway Episode One: I packed up the car, went back inside to get the diva and to get her Egg-O waffle- and slammed the door behind me. In the thirty seconds it took me to grab her waffle out of the toaster I yelled out “Hayden”… strange silence. I bolt to the door and I must have not closed it all the way or she may have learned to open the door. It’s wide open. I panic (I live in a huge condo complex). I run outside look to the right- no Hayden. Look to the left and sure enough there she is halfway to the mailbox…a good 50 feet away. An older lady was pulling over her car because she saw this little one and a half year old running down the side walk. Me=Mortified. Hayden=Amused. I swear, it couldn’t have been more than 30 seconds. I think it was more like 20.
Runaway Episode Two: My parents own Via Sforza Trattoria in Westport, CT. Hayden has grown up in the restaurant and basically runs the place. She has an obsession with going outside and playing with the flowers. I thought my Mom had her. My Mom thought I had her. Matter of fact: Nobody had her and she literally pushed through two sets of double doors (heavy wooden doors) and strolled outside and sat herself on the bench. Again, it couldn’t have been more than half a minute and she was out of there. She sneaked past three waiters and a busboy.
My husband was not pleased with our little runaway. Although he did find it mildly funny that this baby can outsmart her Mommy.
Runaway Episode Three: While Paul was grilling on the back patio, he ran into the kitchen to grab a plate for the food. When he had returned, Hayden has managed to open the screen door and was chilling on the patio… by herself.
These episodes all happened within seven days. Needless to say, I do not find this funny. Actually, I blame the entire thing on my friends. I specifically put a harness leash on my registry. Not the cute kind that look like puppy backpacks. Kind of like a real leash. Everyone thought I was kidding and didn’t buy it for me. For the record, I wasn’t kidding and if I had a leash none of these occurrences would have happened.
She’s not out of my sight for a second any longer. In the future I will have to make sure her room is always on the second floor and that we super glue her windows shut. I will not have a teenager sneaking out of her room -Or a three year old for that matter. And I’m getting a leash. I plan on keeping her on it until her Sweet 16.
On a positive note, I’ve been getting a ton of hugs lately. I think it’s her way of saying “sorry” for getting me so upset. I forgive her, but she will have no mercy. She’s not leaving my site. I even take her to the bathroom with me. I’m not taking any chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment